Yes, Bean Soup – No meat allowed!
That is my big dipper spoon in the right corner – just in case you are wondering what that black object is.
A friend of mine shared this recipe with me.
I loved the simplicity, smokiness and depth of flavor that defines this soup.
I loved it so much, that I’m making it for my “meat and taters” man. My husband thinks he has to have meat in everything he eats.
That is why I’m here (my purpose in life, I suppose) … to show him that he ‘don’t need no dad-gum meat in every meal.’
By the way… he loved it! It satisfies the soul on a cold winters night.
This is a quick ‘canned’ soup.’ So, all you canned soup snobs – go soak yer beans and get ready!
- 3 cans (15-1/2 oz. each) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 cups water
- 2 cans (15-1/2 oz) Garbanzo Beans, rinsed and drained
- A handful of frozen shoe peg corn ( about a cup)
- 1 can (15 oz) Petite Diced Tomatoes
- 1 can (11-1/2 ounces) condensed bean and bacon soup, undiluted
- 1 can (10 ounces) mild Rotel, undrained
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon dried cilantro flakes
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 bay leaves
Add in suggestions: frozen diced carrots.
Put all ingredients in a slow cooker. Cook on high 3 to 4 hours.
Serve with what else? Cornbread!
Note: I had a heck of a time finding the Bean & Bacon Soup. If you can’t find it. I would suggest adding another small can of beans and some liquid smoke – to taste. The smokey flavor really makes this soup.
Salt & Pepper to your taste.